Top Recommended Santa Fe Day Trips
#1 in Series of Top Recommended Santa Fe Day Trips – part 2 here: http://www.pueblobonitoinn.com/top-recommended-santa-fe-day-trips-2-in-series.html
Providing Santa Fe Travelers with Memorable Experiences for 30+ years!
Santa Fe Tourist Attractions To See During Your Day Trip
A wonderful scenic 40 minutes drive from historic downtown Santa Fe and Pueblo Bonito bed and breakfast! Great for half day or full day trip up into the Jemez mountains in Northern New Mexico. Once in the park, guests walk through ancient Indian Ruins, view Native American petroglyphs and explore historic cliff dwellings and climbs on handcrafted kiva ladders. Ancient ruins date back to 1250 AD! A novice skill level, one mile-long hike weaves Santa Fe day trippers past petroglyphs, masonry walls built into a cliff face to the pinnacle “long house”. Ancestral Pueblo people left Frijoles Canyon sometime after 1250, for reasons unknown. Bandelier is our 2016 #1 Top Santa Fe Day Trip for visitors – you will very much enjoy this special New Mexico highlight. Pueblo people thrived in this area near Los Alamos in what is now Bandelier National Monument- 10,000 years ago. The Bandelier National Park covers 33,677 acres within Frijoles Canyon and is filled with lush pine forests, wildlife and clear blue skies. An easy, enjoyable and certain to please Santa Fe day trip put first on our list of BEST Santa Fe Day Trips and Travel Suggestions!
“Add On” Options for Santa Fe Day Tripping:
- San Ildefonso Pueblo– We highly suggest pairing a Day Trip to Bandelier with a quick visit to San Ildefonso Pueblo. After exploring history, why not contrast an active living Native American Pueblo? Known for black on black method of pottery design made famous by Maria Martinez, San Ildefonso pueblo people are mutli-talented, kind hearted and welcoming. Be prepared to enjoy some beautiful handcrafts!
- Santa Clara Pueblo– personal guided tours of the Santa Clara Puye Cliff Dwellings (similar to Bandelier). An option to consider – especially for returning Santa Fe visitors. Having a one-on-one interaction with a native Santa Claran guide can only prove to enhance any Day Trip experience of Northern New Mexico! Fee charged per person.
- Santa Fe Golf at Towa Golf Course: off 285 in Tesuque, NM. 18 hole Arnold Palmer golf course with rolling hill fairways with stunning views of the Sangre de Cristo mountains in Santa Fe County! We don’t suggest making this your “destination”, but adding a half day of golf when in Santa Fe could be a lot of fun!
- Bradbury Museum: in Los Alamos, NM. Extremely interesting, informative National History Museum documenting the Manhattan Project. Real film footage of the US President and historic news broadcasts of the atomic bomb project. Exhibits highlighting benefits of our National Defense funding also presented.
Restaurants/ Wineries/ Distilleries (AKA: The Foodie Side of Santa Fe Day Tripping):
- Gabrielle Restaurant: 285 in Tesuque, NM (10 min from our historic adobe Santa Fe Inn). Our favorite menu items: House margarita; Guacamole and chips; Chicken Chimi.
- Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant- Highway 501 in Chimayo, NM. Our Favorite menu items: House margarita; Green Chile Chicken Enchilada with Sour Cream; Sopapillas
- Estrella del Norte: Award winning Winery. Excellent side trip toward Chimayo, NM for an afternoon wine tasting! Lovely back patio/grounds and fun gift shop!
- Don Quixote Distillery: 285 in Espanola, NM. Famous for NM Blue Corn Vodka or Bourbon! Great experience in spirit tastings. Blue Corn spirits make great gifts for folks left behind!
- Blue Heron: Located on the plaza in Espanola, NM. Tasting house is features local home brews made fresh daily.
Pueblo Bonito bed breakfast inn: Located in Santa Fe at 138 W Manhattan Ave. Uniquely, enchanting. Adobe pueblo-style bed and breakfast. TOP for two reasons:
- 1. Most authentically preserved historic downtown Santa Fe lodging. A must do for enhancing a Native American Historic Santa Fe Experience! Traditional, authentic New Mexico adobe architecture- one of a kind! 154 yrs of southwest US history exudes from this privately owned estate turned bed and breakfast in 1986. True Santa Fe accomodations to transform a stay in Santa Fe, New Mexico into a cultural, historic lodging experience! THE Best way to compliment a day trip to Bandelier National Monument!
- 2. People! Innkeepers- Amy & Herb Behm have 30+ consecutive years at Pueblo Bonito and 55+ living in New Mexico living! We serve guests need: help plan, recommend, provide welcoming hospitality and everything that goes along with great Santa Fe Vacation Travel experiences! Guests know what to expect – the REAL thing! Real history. Real Adobe. Real wood burning kivas. Real people! Nothing phony or make believe here! Voted “Guest Favorite” over 8,200 properties in US and Canada (2011; 12; 13! Rated “Excellent” TripAdvisor 2010, 11 ,12, 13, 14, 15!).
Our knowledge and insight into the region, culture, cuisine and travel in New Mexico is priceless. We make Santa Fe come to life! Give us a call 1-800-461-4599- You’ll be glad you did.