Though the Century Bike Ride Race is relatively new to this historic 400+ yr old city, it’s become a tradition! At least for us here at Pueblo Bonito bed and breakfast inn! At the end of May each year, Santa Fe attracts hundreds of outside enthusiasts from beginning bicycle riders looking for a pleasant outdoor challenge experience to the hardcore bicycle racers who feed off the open road competition! Beginning in 1985, the Century bike ride always supported and encouraged the love of bicycling, being outdoors, comradery and supporting the local Santa Fe community. Pueblo Bonito b&b has been honored to support this annual Santa Fe May event through it’s advertising and discount lodging package offered participants, spectators and volunteers! (See our Century Bike Special). We feel “apart” of this special May Santa Fe event and support the efforts which began with our local hospital foundation (St Vincents- now Christus St Vincents) and currently the Santa Fe Community College Foundation, Santa Fe Public Library Reading Programs, and providing 15-20 new bikes to young readers achieving their goals. As many as 2,900 riders have come from New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Arizona, California and across the US and abroad to participate in the Santa Fe NM Century Bike Ride Race. We invite you- our valued guests to consider adding this to your May Santa Fe travel plans creating a uniquely memorable May Santa Fe visit… who knows you may just make this an annual event!
The ride is always held on the third Sunday in May as the weather is begins to warm but not yet too hot. It is one of the first century cycling events of the spring in southwestern US. Sunday was chosen to achieve the least amount of traffic on the road route. About 14 years ago the 50 mile ride was added as an option which initially required mountain bikes due to part of route not being paved. However now, that final stretch of road on CR 42 between Highway 14 and Galisteo is nicely paved and provides a fabulous and beautiful road ride!
2019 Santa Fe Century Ride Options and Overview:
- CENTURY RIDE OR GRAND FONDO: Century riders are non-timed and have the option of group launch or by themselves. Grand Fondo are chip timed and launch in a group at 7:00 am. Century riders are encouraged to join group start at 7:00am, as riding out behind the timed Gran Fondo riders is a kick off to your ride! Fun and energy of other riders in a safe, escorted group can be invigorating! Police escort in front and behind the entire group of riders will be provided for approximately 4.5 miles until after intersection of NM 599 and NM 14. The escort at this
point will pull over and bicyclers are free to go at their own pace.
- Riders take Highway 14 through Rancho Viejo neighborhood, pass Lone Butte and the Garden of the Gods, then ride through the Galisteo River Valley and the town of Cerrillos. A 7 mile ascent through the Ortiz mountains is the longest of the ride! Stops are planned- the first in the old coal mining town of Madrid (food stop; leave excess gear with a valet service). Then up to Stagecoach Pass to enjoy the downhill descent into the town of Golden; turn left onto NM 344 for second planned stop at Heartbreak Hill (food stop just before the climb that earned its name!). We see many a bicycler walking this hill and make note: there’s no disgrace! Third planned stop is Cedar Grove (food stop) before an enjoyable 22 miles of flat scenic terrain. Take a left onto NM 472 – a straight shot to NM 41 with the next planned stop in Stanley, NM (food stop) which is before the Galisteo stop (food). Take US Highway 285 passing Lamy NM and start your climb back up to Santa Fe with the last planned stop in Eldorado (food), before starting your home stretch back to the venue. Total elevation gain on the route is 5,041 feet.
- HALF-CENTURY RIDE OR MEDIO FONDO: The Half-Century and the Medio Fondo follow the same course. Half-Century riders are not timed while Medio Fondo riders are chip-timed. Half-Century riders can launch in a group or by themselves. Start at 8:15am with timed Medio Fondo riders leading the group start. Police escort follows same pattern as Century Ride or Grand Fondo.
- Great ride for moderate ability cyclists- allow 45- hours to complete course. If you’ve done 20-25 mile rides, you might try this Half-Century!! Camaraderie and support of other cyclists is an exceptional encouragement. Many riders are occasional weekend cyclists. But, because it is 50 miles and does require some endurance, doing some training rides prior to the event will add to your confidence and ability. The total elevation gain is 2,485 feet. The major portions of this ride are on rural roads with little car traffic with rolling hills and glorious picturesque views. Scenes from old western movies come to mind! A rest stop in the historic charming village of Galisteo is included- you’ll find the local villagers turn out to offer support at the Galisteo food stop!
- 25 MILE RIDE: 25 mile ride is designed for minimum cycling experienced riders. Beginning cyclists should allow 3 hours to complete with rest/food stop halfway in Eldorado. Suggested start time is 10:00 am so as to finish around 1:00 – 2:00 pm. This is a popular ride! A different course is planned (non-Century course) and this ride will not be timed. Route will be via Rabbit Road to Old Las Vegas Highway- both having wide shoulders and good pavement. Ride will have a gradual climb on Rabbit Road while heading to Old Las Vegas Highway (this is a portion of the original Santa Fe Trail!) and has a few easy to moderate rolling hills. The rolling hills can be used to gain enough momentum on the downhill to make it almost to the top of the next hill and can be a lot of fun! A slight downhill grade rounds out most of the return route to the start/finish. Total elevation gain on the route is 1,273 feet.
NOTE: Food/Rest stops will include: snacks, fresh fruit, energy drink and water.
If this sounds like something you’d like to try, participate in or “kill it”- give us a call and allow Pueblo Bonito b&b inn to be your 2019 Santa Fe Century Bike Ride Race Accommodation provider. Special discounts apply to each nights stay with our Century Bike Ride Discount (Click Here). BOOK NOW for best availability, room selection and rates! 1-800-461-4599
Why Just Stay In Santa Fe- Experience it’s history and culture first hand at Pueblo Bonito b&b inn!
Our rooms feature 2 ft thick adobe walls (quiet), private baths and a traditional historic New Mexico breakfast buffet (featuring: red chile pork tamales; green chile stew).
Voted 2019: #1 Santa Fe bed and breakfast by the readers of Albuquerque Journal North (and locals should know!)…. 🙂